584,866 active members*
4,984 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Bridgeport Machines > Bridgeport / Hardinge Mills > Bridgeport Boss 5 Spindle Oiling and Head Identification

Bridgeport Boss 5 Spindle Oiling and Head Identification

All,

I'm in the process of replacing the spindle bearings in my mill and I'm really confused about the lubrication of the spindle bearings.
    On my mill there is an oiling system that pumps oil to the "z" axis ball screw, the ways and all of the other ball screws as well from a
    main reservoir. From what I've read,the spindle bearings require a different lubricant than the ways but by the mills design this cant happen.

I have purchased the correct Timken bearings for the spindle which are unshielded and I have learned from research that they need to be packed
    with the appropriate grease initially but how do the bearings continue to be lubricated after the initial greasing. ?

Since this mill has no spindle oiling cups on it, is it the design intent to lubricate the spindle bearings by gravity feed of oil that would "run down" from
    the "z" axis ball screw oiling tube ?

Can someone explain the logic that Bridgeport had when they designed this system ?

If it is a gravity feed system to the spindle bearings, should I be using spindle lube in the main oil reservoir instead of ball screw and way lube ?

Just exactly what "head" does a Boss 5 "v" ram have - is it a "J" head , special "J" head ...... I cannot find out what the proper name for that head is anywhere ?

Ive also looked all over for assembly drawings for this head and cannot find them anywhere - any help here would be great

Thanks

Re: Bridgeport Boss 5 Spindle Oiling and Head Identification

My understanding is the spindle bearings are grease lubricated for life. The quill ballscrew oil will run down the outside of the quill and drip down around the quill. It will never make it to the spindle bearings. The only way to oil the spindle bearings would be to drip oil inside the quill ballscrew where the spindle comes out. I don't think there is a lube nozzle there.

Most of the exploded parts diagrams are available here: H&W - Parts for Bridgeport Mills, New & Used Machinery, DRO's, Power Feeds

Ivan_The_Red

Don't try to lube the bearings with oil, you would have to change the whole design of the spindle to oil lube the Spindle Bearings

A good grease is all you need for your Spindle Bearings, this is the best Grease you can use for your spindle Bearings, & any others you have to use Grease for,( Kluber Isoflex NBU15,) you have to use the correct amount in each Bearing, over packing will cause over heating of the Bearings, make sure when you reassemble you mount the AC Bearings Back to Back

As for the head it is almost the same series1, the main difference is the Ballscrew above the Quill, it has a different spindle as well longer in the top section, most other parts in the head are the same
    Mactec54

Thanks for the information, but there aren't any assembly drawings or parts lists at that site for the CNC ball screw version of the "J" head.

Anybody else have any drawings , manuals with torque specs for the Boss 5 ..... anything ???

Ivan_The_Red

All the bolts are standard UNC or UNF, just look up the Torque settings for the Bolt/SHCS sizes you have to Torque, The only drawings that are for your machine come with the machines,I think there was a set of ( 3 ) manuals, sometimes you can find them on Ebay

As for the Spindle lock-nut for the Bearings, do it up as tight as you can, with the correct wrench, this Nut & the Front Nut that screws into the bottom of the Quill is important to get right, when done up correct this holds the Bearing Preload on the front ( 2 ) Bearings
    Mactec54

DEAR FRIEND, GOOD DAY

I AM GLAD TO TAKE THIS OPPORTUNITY TO INTRODUCE OURSELVES AS ONE OF THE LEADING SUPPLIERS OF Precision Bearings for CNC and Machine tool ,AND YRT bearings WHICH ARE FROM THE REOWNED MAKE OF Wafangdian Tianjiu Bearings Technology Co.,Ltd.,.

WE ARE IN THIS BUSINESS SINCE LAST FIFTEEN YEARS; IN THIS SPAN OF TIME WE HAVE SUPPLIED PRECISION IN ALMOST ALL THE CONTINENTS OF THE WORLD.

OUR BEARINGS WITH COMMON PRECISION ARE MAINLY MIDDLE / LARGE BALL BEARINGS, ROLLER BEARINGS AND SELF-LUBRICATING JOINT BEARINGS. OUR SL BEARINGS ARE FAVORED BY CUSTOMERS. BESIDES, WE DEVELOP HIGH-PRECISION YRT ROTATED BEARINGS, MACHINE TOOL MAINSHAFT BEARINGS AND MOTOR PRECISION BEARINGS. THE PRECISIONS OF OUR BEARINGS HAVE REACHED LEVELS OF P5, SP, P4 AND UP.

FEATURED BY HIGH PRECISION, LOW NOISE, HIGH ROTARY SPEED, HIGH QUALITY AND LONG SERVICE LIFE, OUR PRODUCTS SAVE USERS’ COST AND SHORTEN PURCHASE TERM. WIDELY APPLIED TO COMMON MACHINE TOOLS, CNC MACHINE TOOLS, LARGE / MIDDLE MOTORS, PRECISION ROLLING MILLS, ETC., OUR PRODUCTS FILLED THE DOMESTIC BLANKS AND CAN SUBSTITUTE IMPORTED PRODUCTS.

THIS IS TO INFORM YOU THAT WE HAVE PRECISION BEARINGS AND OTHER GOOD QUALITY BEARINGS AVAILABLE, CAN SUPPLY FOR YOU WITH BEST QUALITY.

PLEASE SEND US YOUR REQUIREMENTS.

THANK YOU !

REGARDS!

--------------------------
    Lixingwen(栗星文)
    Wafangdian Tianjiu Bearings Technology Co.,Ltd.
    (Wafangdian Heavy Bearings Researching & Manufacturing Co.,Ltd.)
    Brand:WZFB
    Web: http://www.wzfb.cn
    Tel: 0411-85366785
    Fax: 0411-85366785
    Mobile:+86-15942617721
    E-mail:[email protected]
    Q Q : 178702120