585,902 active members*
4,382 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Brand new to Okuma

I registered along time ago and read a lot, but can't remember if I've ever posted here or not. We have a shop with all Fanuc control, and just got an Okuma MX-60HB with OSP-U100L control a couple weeks ago. I think I have the control down now, but I have some questions.

I was given a proven program for this machine from a vendor that has 8 different G15 offsets. After I loaded the program it automatically loaded all of the G15 offsets into the "Zero Set" screen, all good. Ran a part, with different but very similar tombstones than the vendor had. Checked the part, made all of my offsets on the "Zero Set" screen and all was good. Ran the program through from the beginning and bam all of my changes to the offsets were gone. I had to edit the program where it lists "VZOFX[1]=" and so on. One solution would be to start the program after the listed variables in the program, but that is not good for production. I've been really busy and haven't had much time to read the books and figure this out, I'm sure it's something simple i'm missing.

The other question I have right now is, if the machine throws an alarm in the middle of a program, say for low coolant, how can I clear this code without also resetting the program? I topped off the coolant, but couldn't find an alarm reset or anything, I had to leave the alarm displayed for the rest of operation unless I reset the program as well.

Thanks for any responses, looking forward to communicating more in the forums here.

Re: Brand new to Okuma

Quote Originally Posted by Chinook0 View Post
    I was given a proven program for this machine from a vendor that has 8 different G15 offsets. After I loaded the program it automatically loaded all of the G15 offsets into the "Zero Set" screen, all good. Ran a part, with different but very similar tombstones than the vendor had. Checked the part, made all of my offsets on the "Zero Set" screen and all was good. Ran the program through from the beginning and bam all of my changes to the offsets were gone. I had to edit the program where it lists "VZOFX[1]=" and so on. One solution would be to start the program after the listed variables in the program, but that is not good for production. I've been really busy and haven't had much time to read the books and figure this out, I'm sure it's something simple i'm missing.
    The use of the VZOF... etc is like using the Fanuc G10 to set values into the control ( obviously they will overwrite any value that is already set ),
    - either update the VZOF.. numbers in the program to the new values ( so the program will overwrite the offsets on each cycle )
    - turn them into a comment after the first execution ... only the front bracket is required....then adjust the G15 offsets, knowing they will not be changed by the program
    - have the VZOF...lines in a completely separate program, run it, then change to the production program

This option is called User Task II, in the Programming Manual ( purple color book ), look for READ/WRITE SYSTEM VARIABLES

The other question I have right now is, if the machine throws an alarm in the middle of a program, say for low coolant, how can I clear this code without also resetting the program? I topped off the coolant, but couldn't find an alarm reset or anything, I had to leave the alarm displayed for the rest of operation unless I reset the program as well..
    There is a hierarchy to the alarms as they display the severity level on that line
    they are P, A, B C, D
    info is found in the Alarms and Errors manual ( usually a pink color book ) it is the first section of the manual & each type of control has it's own manual ie a 7000L cannot be used on a P200M

a D level is very low...it will stay at that level ( until rectified) for an amount of time, sometimes moving up to a C level.ie lub. level
    C level allows running the program thru to the end of the program
    B level is immediate stop after the current block of code ( like being in a permanent "Single Block" mode )
    A l& P levels are critical, they will stop everything & possibly turn the hydraulics, axis drives etc.. OFF, leaving just the screen ON

The entire alarm message line is needed to fully diagnose problems, it can indicate the "possible" fault reason & "possible" solutions ( usually indicated by a number or letter, - the manuals should also be consulted for fuller explanation )
    - you also have to use a bit of logic... if an alarm says "clamping timeout", ...look to see if air or hydraulics are ON ( & at correct pressure ). Having no air could raise 3-4 different alarms