585,727 active members*
4,083 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Bridgeport Machines > Bridgeport / Hardinge Mills > Bought an EZ TRAK DX 2 axis now considering converting the Z

Bought an EZ TRAK DX 2 axis now considering converting the Z

Howdy All,

I've been lurking here for quite a while and have finally bought a machine for use in my garage and a little side gig working with high school kids and their robotics club projects.

2 months ago I bought a 1996 machine from the original owner. It was in pretty decent shape except a little rattle that we originally thought was just worn vari-speed bushings. Turned out to also have badly worn spindle pulley and splined hubs
    Well, I replaced the hubs and installed all new bearings, bushings & belts in the top end. Spindle bearings are still original.

I'm now in the final stages of getting the garage properly situated so I can move the machine from it's temporary waypoint to new home. Should be in the next couple weeks.

Now for the meat of my post:

I would like to convert the Z axis (quill) to cnc similar or identical to the 3 axis EZ TRAKs and have some questions. I, like many others, can't afford to break the bank for this.

Hardware:
    Where to get the mechanical parts, all of the parts ? I've done a fair amount of web searching and see that Elrod produces a nice looking setup, are there others. I have not contacted Elrod regarding compatibility with the original software.
    Who else offers aftermarket quill conversion hardware?
    Is there a source for the oem parts?

Software:
    Is EMI the only source for axis boards that are compatible?

I have read in other threads that the original 2 axis software will also work for 3 axis, is this true?
    If so, are there changes like jumpers to be revised on the BMDC?

I'm just starting this quest so please bear with me.

Waddell

Re: Bought an EZ TRAK DX 2 axis now considering converting the Z

I have a 3rd axis housing from Elrod and the Z axis ball screw. All of that was in a box I purchased and I don't know if it is complete.

Not sure if you have the version of the BMDC that will work for 3 axis. The later ones are compatible. I know you would need a servo motor and servo drive. EMI would be able to tell you what you need.

Could you PM some pics of what you have and what you might have to have for it?

See post #5 in this thread.

I installed my own from EMI and will add that it would have been better to pay a technician to do the installation. There is a good bit of wiring and the instructions were lacking. In the end it is really worth having the 3rd.

Ah yes WW, I read that post of yours. You make it sound like the electrical was the difficult part?

How was the mechanical conversion, any chance you took pics of that portion?

Thanks,