585,749 active members*
3,875 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > BobCad-Cam > BOBCAD AUTOMATIC TOOL SELECTION

BOBCAD AUTOMATIC TOOL SELECTION

This question pertains to tool selection, not tool numbering sequence. Can any of the Bobcad WIZARDS answer this question.Here goes.....Whenever I have programmed a feature and the correct tools are loaded and everything is correct (In V27 we now have an option to copy and paste a feature function within the CAM tree) (an awesome feature by the way) but when the feature is pasted to its new location in the cam tree, the tool is almost ALWAYS incorrect. The software autoselects the wrong tool or creates the wrong tool. Therefore I have to always go in and manually edit the tree feature I pasted to get the right tool selection. Why? What am I doing wrong here? I also had the same problem for saving a feature and then reloading a feature in previous versions of Bobcad. What am I doing wrong here? Thanks WIZARDS in advance.

Re: BOBCAD AUTOMATIC TOOL SELECTION

I have tried different tools, modifying tool by unchecked system tool (using tool not in tool library) and seems to be working fine for me so far on the V27 (build 1547). Probably not much DONE WRONG can be done with copy and paste. I have tried it with Load Feature and also seem to working OK (sure hope I haven't jinks it now)

Maybe zip up a file and I'll try it on my program.

I am sorry...I left out a part of the process. The last operation that I always do before I save or post code is Compute Tool Path. That seems to be when it changes. The reason that I do this is habit from previous versions.

I have been posting and simulating with no problems, tools have been staying at pasted tool parameters.
    Have Computed Tool Path as well before save or post still OK
    Maybe zip a file

Without doing any testing i would guess its because the tool doesnt really "exist"... like it was just defined at the feature level and not an added tool? Maybe raf can speak to if this is part of his process that you are not doing....

Probably not in the "Tool Crib", that is what carries the tooling for the features, all tools need to be in the "Tool Crib" in my experience, they are not "called" from the Tool Library by the feature so if the tool isn`t in the "Tool Crib" I`ve found from experience that things don`t work right when you start moving stuff around.

I always start a job with a fully populated "Tool Crib" which populates my Features with the correct tools as I create the features and I never have any tool issues when Saving/Loading/Pasting features

All I have I`m afraid, that`s how it seems to work for me anyway.

Regards
    Rob
    :rainfro: :rainfro: :rainfro:

Well....all reply's sound good. I am glad that I did not bash my software company. The dialog that was generated here forced me to really dig into the problem. The tool that I want is in the tool crib but the software will bypass it and create a tool or select a different tool for this feature. It took me quite a while but I discovered that the flute length of the drill that I created (a few years ago) only had a 1" flute length described. I am drilling 1.75" deep. The software saw this as too short of flute and went for something else. I had a 1 line in the description of the tool a little off. My mistake. That has plagued me for a long time. Problem solved. Lesson learned....DESCRIBE TOOLS CORRECTLY. Thank you for the help RAF,Burr and EngineGuy.

I hate when bobcad creates a new tool with a random tool number, due to the flute length being to short on my existing tool. It would be nice if it would bring up the tool crib popup automatically if the tool its looking for is not already in the tool crib.

I've ruined a few parts and bits from failing to catch the magic tool creation after copying a feature over and selecting a thicker part.

I should probably just invest in more tool holders, and endmills. Then I can have a assortment of endmills lengths setup and ready to go.