584,833 active members*
5,685 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Exclamation Bizarre Problem w/ CL-253 Lathe ???

I have a CL-253 w/MSG-803 control that will start up and run like normal all day long; provided you don't shut it down. If you power down; the machine won't start up again for hours (i.e. the next day). For example, I came into the shop this Sunday in an attempt to troubleshoot. As expected; the machine performed like normal at initial start up. After turning on the main breaker in the back; the hydraulic power unit came on, and after pressing the "on" button on the control panel, the CPU initialized with all the normal data being displayed on the LCD screen - No problems. After an immediate power down (not enough time for anything to get hot) and an attempt to re-start; all you get is the hydraulic power unit noise and some clicking from the door interlock system like normal. The LCD screen is totally black - nothing scrolling by - no initialization - nothing. Other than the noise of the hydraulic power unit and some cooling fans; the only signs of life are a few LED's on the operator panel (axis indicator, tool#, MEM mode button,override percentage indicator, TRCL lamp and that's about it). At this point you cannot move an axis in hand mode, clamp / un-clamp chuck or do anything. You can try and try turning off and on to no avail. However, the next morning the machine will start and run like normal, and will run the entire shift as long as it is not shut down. At this point I'm at a loss and thought I'd make this post in search of some direction.

Thanks for any helpful suggestions,

James

Probably a bad power supply, powering the Mori Mapps panel.

Re: Bizarre Problem w/ CL-253 Lathe ???

Do you have a copy of the electrical manual. I am getting a Y03 alarm.