584,862 active members*
5,451 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Tormach Personal CNC Mill > Best way to cut angled tube clamp.

Best way to cut angled tube clamp.

Hi,

I'm trying to make a tube clamp that it'll hold the tube at an angel to the front/back surface. How would you guys do it? This is my first time dealing with angled holes so i'd like to learn from your CNC veterans...i've attached the pic.

Thanks in advance

Daz
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails HLBracket02_ED2.gif  

Re: Best way to cut angled tube clamp.

I'm afraid I don't quite follow. The pic doesn't really show the angle clearly (to me).

If you are wanting the hole to be 3* off angle from the face you can just throw a 3* angle plate under it in a vise.

3* angle block
    Attachment 258420

In vise but the block is wider than the part (8" vise jaw)
    Attachment 258422

Added a 5" vise jaw just as a spacer. Something smaller would be better but this works for example.
    Attachment 258424

Sine vise and Sine plates are other options. Here is an aluminum sample of some brass gibs I did a log time ago. The fixture was machined in a Sine vise then bolted to a flat block to create the angle and height

Attachment 258426

The fixture that I made to hold their angle
    Attachment 258428Attachment 258430

Brian
    WOT Designs

Brian,

That's exactly what I'm trying to do here. I've attached more pics to explain the part better. I do have a sine vise but i'd like to hold the part from parallel sides. Do they sell a clamping jaw attachment that goes perpendicular to the existing sine vise jaw that I can mount the part from sides instead of the arched top and bottom?

Where do you find "angled plate"? I searched and only the right angled plate came up.

Thanks

Daz
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails clamp01.jpg  

Look for "angle block" and you will find them.

I bought another toolmaker vise to hold the part sideways and will insert it in my sine vise. thanks for all the help.

now, what's a good way to setup my machining coordinates for the angled hole and wall area? i guess i'd need two coordinates, one for the flat vise and one for the sine vise, correct?

If you end up doing quite a bit of these, you might want to look at the Tormach tilting rotary table. Then you could adjust the table to the angle you are looking for and mill it. It is not inexpensive, though.

Quote Originally Posted by dalianharley View Post
    I bought another toolmaker vise to hold the part sideways and will insert it in my sine vise. thanks for all the help.

now, what's a good way to setup my machining coordinates for the angled hole and wall area? i guess i'd need two coordinates, one for the flat vise and one for the sine vise, correct?

You might find it easier to simply cut some jaws with a 3° angle in them. If you have the software to program that part, it will have the ability to ramp a 3° angle in some jaws.
    pearls ain't free

Maybe I missed something but it sounds to me like you are making things really complicated. You have a CNC mill so it is no bid deal to make an angle plate our of a bit of 1/2 thick bar stock a bit narrower than your part. Drop that over your vise ways, clamp the part and give it a good whack to set it down against the wedge like Brian shows. Mill/bore the hole.. You might want to do that hole first and use it as a datum for the rest of the part.

bob

Quote Originally Posted by rowbare View Post
    Maybe I missed something but it sounds to me like you are making things really complicated. You have a CNC mill so it is no bid deal to make an angle plate our of a bit of 1/2 thick bar stock a bit narrower than your part. Drop that over your vise ways, clamp the part and give it a good whack to set it down against the wedge like Brian shows. Mill/bore the hole.. You might want to do that hole first and use it as a datum for the rest of the part.

bob
    Bob, Thanks for the advice. I end up doing it in 3D profiling so I don't have to do multiple setups. We'll see how it goes...my first time in 3D!