585,951 active members*
4,266 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > Uncategorised CAM Discussion > Best software to create cnc wood art:

Best software to create cnc wood art:

Hi all,

I'm currently looking for the best wood working art software. See my picture attached for what I want to do in terms of complexity. Currently I am well versed in Solidworks but I can't seem to find a way to get it to do "artistic" wood working models without being painstakingly hard. The software just isn't setup to do lots of textures, reliefs, surfacing (in terms of woodworking).

So I'd like anybodys opinion that has the various cnc art softwares (Artcam, Aspire, Rhinocam, etc) and let me know which one I should pursue.

Re: Best software to create cnc wood art:

If you've drawn all the curves in a model like the one you show (which looks like a hand-carved piece, not a CNC project) so that they form a series of closed areas, then RhinoCAM Pro would probably be the best choice. Each closed curve would be a separate machining region which could be dealt with optimally, using the set of roughing, finishing, profiling, engraving and re-machining strategies the Pro version includes. This would be a fair amount of work (you might even describe it as painstakingly hard) but it would give you the best results.

If you want to take a simpler approach to the problem, you might try DeskProto. It's a less expensive program that has no problems with big complex files, and offers a range of machining strategies that, while more limited than RhinoCAM Pro's, would be correspondlingly easier to implement. Instead of using remachining operations on each region, you'd probably use a more generalized technique, and use hand tools to finish areas that the CNC tools didn't cut to your satisfaction.
    Andrew Werby
    Website

Sounds like he wants to actually create the models. If that's the case, both Aspire and ArtCAM are made to do that type of work. Many other 3D modeling programs can do it as well. Silo, Moi, Hexagon, Bonzai,... and many others.
    It does, however, take a tremendous amount of artistic skill top create 3D models like that. As well as a very good understanding of the chosen program.
    My advice is to try demos of the different programs, pick the one you like best, and learn it inside and out.
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

wouldn't be surprised if that door finished with hand chiseling..

all program can make models for.. however for those intervining elements silo, hexagon or 3dsmax works better..
    additionally, no matter what program you choose, for this type of modeling you need a lot experience..

I would use start with Viacad for the basic 2d rendition of a door like that. I'd also use Viacad to produce the bulk of the solid geometry, leaving only the more organic shapes unfinished. Then I'd bring it into Bonzai for the rest of the 3d work. Bonzai is excellent for bending solids or surfaces, so making shapes such as leaves is really simple once you understand the tools Bonzai provides for it. If you need to tug surfaces into new shapes using control points, Bonzai is also great at that.

As stated by others, there is a high level of 3d modeling knowledge required to produce a model like that, so unless you are good with 3d modeling already, this is probably not a great project to start with. Another thing to point out is that I doubt that I'd try to carve that out as a solid piece on my CNC router anyways. I would prefer to cute the stiles and rails by hand, while cutting the panels and round center rails by CNC. Basically, I'd look at this project as a 9 panel system inside of a frame. I'm not even sure if the example is wood. I've run into some historical commercial doors and panels that look similar to that which were metal (and really quite amazing for that fact). Usually, they have the same extreme amount of 3d shape to them and are exterior. These doors/panels can last a hundred years where a wood equivalent would have long before fallen apart outside.

i think for that kind of complexity it`s very dificult to model in a simple cad like solidworks or inventor

The alternative for you that i know is AlphaCam and Aspire Together

The aspire can make the model like you show with a gray scale image it uses the diferent grays to make the depth of the model and makes it in seconds but you have the image with the correct scale of grays

and after it was a button to export to Alphacam to machine and AlphaCam is very good CAD/CAM has a cad like Autocad and the cam is very good but attention you must have aspire for alphacam not only aspire

I don`t know other alternative

Aspire if you are on a budget.

Artcam pro if you are not.

Alphacam Art if you want Aspire pluss loads of extra functionality aimed at the woodworking work shop.