584,874 active members*
5,403 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Uncategorised MetalWorking Machines > best calculator to have next to the mill?

best calculator to have next to the mill?

I've spent the last year running over to the laptop with my hands covered in chips and coolant whenever I need to do some simple calculations on the windows calculator..probably not the best idea..

I tried buying a super cheap calculator at walmart but it was SO cheap it literally did not work out of the box.

So has anyone figured out a great calculator for the mill? I would think the following would be must-haves:

-semi-water & chip resistant or at least "hasnt died yet with coolant/chip covered fingers"
    -big display?
    -big buttons
    -reasonable battery life
    -less than $10

Re: best calculator to have next to the mill?

Purchase the Casio FX260SLR Solar Scientific Calculator for less at Walmart.com. Save money. Live better.

I have one on every machine.

EDIT: I can't get it to stop saying ... "Purchase the ...!"

thanks!! I'm going to get it

At the plant we use lots of those solar powered calculators. Very nice and nearly disposable. We often use Velcro to secure them in place. With a few Velcro pads stuck around the machine you can place the calculator right where you need it.

However, if you can convince yourself to get a bit spendy look into tablets like the iPad or even the little iPod Touch. They either come with a calculator app or you can download one from the app stores.

The goal isn't to get an expensive calculator though, the real goal is to have access to a spread sheet app and an app for taking notes. I carry around a cell phone just so I can have instant access to the various notes I have for the different machines I work on. Think of it as an adjunct to the gray matter memory. In some cases when they are available I download and keep in the device manuals in PDF format. Such stuff in your pocket can be a huge time saver over trying to grab paper documentation or finding a laptop.

By the way there are options beyond Apple though I can't recommend them from experience. The other thing is that you don't have to buy new! In fact it is expected that next week Apple will release new hardware meaning that the old stuff will flood the markets as used equipment.

Quote Originally Posted by wizard View Post
    At the plant we use lots of those solar powered calculators. Very nice and nearly disposable. We often use Velcro to secure them in place. With a few Velcro pads stuck around the machine you can place the calculator right where you need it.

However, if you can convince yourself to get a bit spendy look into tablets like the iPad or even the little iPod Touch. They either come with a calculator app or you can download one from the app stores.

The goal isn't to get an expensive calculator though, the real goal is to have access to a spread sheet app and an app for taking notes. I carry around a cell phone just so I can have instant access to the various notes I have for the different machines I work on. Think of it as an adjunct to the gray matter memory. In some cases when they are available I download and keep in the device manuals in PDF format. Such stuff in your pocket can be a huge time saver over trying to grab paper documentation or finding a laptop.

By the way there are options beyond Apple though I can't recommend them from experience. The other thing is that you don't have to buy new! In fact it is expected that next week Apple will release new hardware meaning that the old stuff will flood the markets as used equipment.
    +1 on the Velcro.

These are the type of calculator that slide into a protective cover, either way.

I "secure" the cover to the machine with Velcro and slide the calculator into it.

This makes the calculator itself available for use elsewhere without annoying Velcro "pads" attached.