586,024 active members*
4,064 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Best approach to finding compatible hardware

Hi all,

I must have gotten lucky with the 1st 2 computers I used to run EMC2/LinuxCNC, had no issues latency, but now it seems I can't scrounge up another machine that doesn't have high latency issues. What is the best approach to finding compatible hardware, I would like to recycle old equipment if possible, but I am not against buying compatible motherboards and building. Really just want bare bones (cheap would be nice) controllers for 3 axis machines, don't really care about the hardware/software as long as it works. Any suggestions?

Thanks,
    Don B.

Re: Best approach to finding compatible hardware

Quote Originally Posted by grumpygeek View Post
    Hi all,

I must have gotten lucky with the 1st 2 computers I used to run EMC2/LinuxCNC, had no issues latency, but now it seems I can't scrounge up another machine that doesn't have high latency issues. What is the best approach to finding compatible hardware, I would like to recycle old equipment if possible, but I am not against buying compatible motherboards and building. Really just want bare bones (cheap would be nice) controllers for 3 axis machines, don't really care about the hardware/software as long as it works. Any suggestions?

Thanks,
    Don B.
    For new low power (fanless) motherboards the J1800,J1900 Celerons (Baytrail Atoms) are decent, the Biostar a68n-5000 is also OK

For used PCs , Intel Core Duos seem to pretty much always work for me (off lease Dells or Ebay are a good source)

For modern higher performance MBs, the H81/Pentium G32xx combo works well and is cheap
    Its likely that higher end Intel CPUs would work also (I3s,I5s and I7s) but will not improve latency
    and the extra performance is unlikely to needed. I dont have much experience with higher end AMD CPUs

Re: Best approach to finding compatible hardware

Thanks,

Nice short list, I will see if I can locate a used Dell Core Duo, if not I'll go for one of the motherboards.

I wish laptops had less issues, I have an old Dell 610 (Pentium M) that I would love to use.

Thanks again.

-Don B.