585,748 active members*
3,523 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

beginner needs advice

I am a graphic designer and fabricator for a full service embelishment factory..we do everything from laser cutting, embroidery,3d printing etc..basically everything needed to makes samples and prototypes for the fashion industry..we recently purchased our first cnc mill, a roland mdx40a..we plan on using this for prototyping in plastic, wood and ideally soft metal..after speaking with roland they tell me that while the machine is not made with metal in mind, it can mill soft metals on slow settings...i also spoke to the dealer and he expressed concern over the small size and amout of detail i would like to achieve in metal..he tells me the machine can mill soft metals fine but hes worried that small detail requires tiny bits that are likely to break and he advised milling the small detailed pieces in wax and then casting them.this seems like a pain in the azz and i was hoping for a solution to directly mill the detailed metal pieces...im talking about size and detail like that of jewelry or perhaps metal logo emblems for handbags....i was hoping maybe i could directly mill a soft alloy directly without breaking the tiny cutters required for detail...maybe you guys know of a softer type of alloy that can suit my needs? I would like a silver colored and/or a gold or copper colored option...if i need to mill in wax and cast i will but i was hoping to avoid that step if possible..perhaps zinc is softer than alluminum?zinc seems to polish to a nice silver color so that may be an option?..id appreciate all the advice you guys can offer.the machine arrives in a week

Re: beginner needs advice

The main reason the MDX-40 isn't recommended for cutting metals is its open frame with sliding parts underneath, which isn't designed for handling chips. It's also not set up to handle coolant and lubricant. Metal chips have a way of lodging and compacting that will stop your machine from working. So if you're planning to use this machine for metal, spread out plastic underneath to catch any chips before they get any further. Unfortunately, the MDX-40 has a door interlock which will shut down the machine when you try to get in there to brush away chips or spray lubricant. both of which are good to do in a metal-machining process. The spindle, which is high-speed but low-torque, is also not ideal for metal cutting. It will do best with very small cutters; not so well with larger ones. Zinc is a "sticky" metal; it's not great for machining. Aluminum works better, but make sure you get a hardened alloy, like 6061 T6; softer isn't really better, since the pure un-hardened aluminum alloys tend to stick to the cutters. If you want a gold-colored alloy, try a free-machining brass.

Alternatively, you might save the Roland for wood and plastics, and get another machine, like a Taig mill for example, to deal with your metal projects.
    Andrew Werby
    Website

I really appreciate the advice but unfortunately another machine at this point isnt possible. .assuming i follow your suggestions (because i plan on it) what is your thought about the broken bit problem iv been warned about?..the pieces im looking to mill are very small, like large button sized but with intricate details like jewelry. .im mainly looking to mill embelishments like small custom metal medalions with milled logos so the lettering will require small cutters that im told will break with metal...is this true? I will certainly use the mill for wood and plastic whenever possible and im thinking i can achieve a similar outcome by perhaps milling a type of plastic with a high high heat tolorance to be used as a mold and poaring molten zinc into this mold in order to create what i want..im also told there is a type of plastic impregnated with metal powder that can be milled easier and have the look of metal...anyway..i hope you guys understand what im looking to achieve and i would appreciate any ideas of suggestions you may have in order for me to accomplish this with an mdx40a because thats all i have at the moment..no budget for a second machine im afraid.ill try and post pictures of examples id like to mill if you dont know what im talking about but its basically custom metal zippers and clasps that have milled logos or made into custom shapes

Hi I tried 3 mm mill on an Steel capable mill it Works but they break often ..
    I now Try 3d print the Form to use it as löst Form probably that is a Route for you aß well ..
    May get it printed an Try a juvelery Ofen in Alu or other Metall