585,712 active members*
4,297 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

axis Y misalignment IN A PLASMA TABLE 5X10 FT

HELLO GUYS

A few months ago finalize my project in a plasma cutting table 5x10 ft, my compressor capacity was very small so I could only make continuous cuts of 3 minutes Now I have a compressor 80 gallon thing is very different there has been a great problem after 7 or 8 minutes of continuous cutting the y axis misalignment around 3/8" I tightened the screws on the gears and racks all is well fixed , I reviewed mach3 settings and everything is the same in the two motors that move the Y axis someone something happened thank you very much for your support

add pics

Attachment 256106

Attachment 256104

Re: axis Y misalignment IN A PLASMA TABLE 5X10 FT

Turn the motors on
    grab one side and try to move it back and forth. Should have no play. Dot he same with the other. Any movement indicates something in the linear motion mechanics is loose

If it is tight then try lowering the acceleration on both motors by 20% and run a test. Write a g-code test file that just moves the gantry back and forth a bunch of times and then returns to zero
    If you still have misalignment see if it always in the same direction and see if it is about the same everytime you run your test file. If it is you can try changing the steps per unit calibration on the axis that is wrong. Add or subtract steps or fractions of steps unit it goes the right distance.

You can setup a dial indicator and move the gantry an exact amount and back on each side and see which one is the problem. Even a bad gear mesh can cause backlash

Quote Originally Posted by Torchhead View Post
    Turn the motors on
    grab one side and try to move it back and forth. Should have no play. Dot he same with the other. Any movement indicates something in the linear motion mechanics is loose

If it is tight then try lowering the acceleration on both motors by 20% and run a test. Write a g-code test file that just moves the gantry back and forth a bunch of times and then returns to zero
    If you still have misalignment see if it always in the same direction and see if it is about the same everytime you run your test file. If it is you can try changing the steps per unit calibration on the axis that is wrong. Add or subtract steps or fractions of steps unit it goes the right distance.

You can setup a dial indicator and move the gantry an exact amount and back on each side and see which one is the problem. Even a bad gear mesh can cause backlash

thank you very much friend TORCHHEAD going to do these tests and keep you informed is very important for me to solve this failure to continue good service to my customers

I have often wondered, how do you fine tune a slaved motor? How are the steps set for the slaved motor? If the settings are only for the named axis "Y", what if this is not the correct steps per inch for the slaved motor?

hello friends;

torchhead; Realize all your advice and exept the last I have not changed the configuration of the slave motor, I researched and I see that maybe this missing steps due to electronic noise what is your opinion ? tanks friends

It is difficult to impossible to lose steps from noise since noise would ADD steps

Quote Originally Posted by Torchhead View Post
    It is difficult to impossible to lose steps from noise since noise would ADD steps
    tanks torchhead;

it may be that the noise that this adding steps and for this reason misaligned?

news about my failure friends;

I've noticed that when I do .tap code in the computer workshop, causes me this fault and when performed on my home computer all going great some friends could tell me i know the reason i use SHEETCAM

tanks very much my friends

Maybe the post processor in Sheetcam has been modified on one of the computers. Make sure they are both the same.

Mike