586,000 active members*
4,925 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > BobCad-Cam > arrrrrrgggg how does this happen

arrrrrrgggg how does this happen

I've got two parts that I've made and both files are now corrupted , The first file had toolpaths created and the only thing i didn't do was post it . I then saved the file , then mirrored it , then i immediately saved that as a new part . I created new toolpaths simulated , and posted the second .
    When I tried to re-open the first part then bobcad crashed , and now both part files are corrupted , even the backups in the backup folder are corrupted .
    I don't get it , these were both fully worked thru files and I even posted one , and they are both nfg
    I don't get corrupted files very often but this isn't the first time this has happened , I regularly save because I don't know when it'll crash , but how is it that a saved fully worked thru program can be corrupted . I'm not trying to bash the software but I've learned to constantly saving my work in bc and i really don't understand how this can happen
    when i use open file and i click on my file it will show the part in the little window but when i click open bc crashes
    A poet knows no boundary yet he is bound to the boundaries of ones own mind !! ........

Re: arrrrrrgggg how does this happen

Quote Originally Posted by dertsap View Post
    I've got two parts that I've made and both files are now corrupted , The first file had toolpaths created and the only thing i didn't do was post it . I then saved the file , then mirrored it , then i immediately saved that as a new part . I created new toolpaths simulated , and posted the second .
    When I tried to re-open the first part then bobcad crashed , and now both part files are corrupted , even the backups in the backup folder are corrupted .
    I don't get it , these were both fully worked thru files and I even posted one , and they are both nfg
    I don't get corrupted files very often but this isn't the first time this has happened , I regularly save because I don't know when it'll crash , but how is it that a saved fully worked thru program can be corrupted . I'm not trying to bash the software but I've learned to constantly saving my work in bc and i really don't understand how this can happen

I have no answer of why.But I can tell you I no longer lose it all.I save religiously AND I do "save as " with different names for the same part,at different stages of creation.Example:save as Original,,,,,,,,,,save as solid drawn,,,,,,,,,save as OP 1,,,,,,save as OP 2,,,,,,,,,,,
    I also have the automatically save back-up "on" .
    In other words,I don't just hit "save",I do "save as" a lot.So I won't ever lose a mountain of work.
    When the part is done,I throw away all but the "Master".Next time I run it,I work off a copy of the master,doing a save as under a different name.
    I am Anal.I have lost many hours of work through the years,however mostly when first starting out.

I hit save as so many times its ridiculous , but usually its saved with the same name , after 3 extremely valuable hours there isn't enough valium in the pharmacy to calm me down after this one , this has cost me way too much money this time
    A poet knows no boundary yet he is bound to the boundaries of ones own mind !! ........

I have experienced this too.Since this is not a Hobby,I can not afford that much time or I am working for free.Might try the way I do it.The most I will ever lose is 15 minutes,guaranteed,,,cough,cough

what kills me is that when i click open file , then i can see all of my work in the little side window but the miserable sob crashes when i click open

I guess I'm lucky (Kind of) in that in the past I have done a lot of complex work in Microsoft Office and regularly encountered file corruption in things that looked good until closed & re-opened.
    I am now in the habit of saving any work using "Save As" and using a version number or description on the end of the file name.
    I find this also lets me recover from my own FUBARS as I usually have a version just prior to any particularly stupid decision I might make ;-)

what kills me is that when i click open file , then i can see all of my work in the little side window but the miserable sob crashes when i click open
    """""""how does this happen """"""

I don't have anything for you after the fact, but here is my best guess at what's going on and how to avoid it..

The "save as" or "incremental save" as being suggested is a best practice. By the time I'm done, I have several files. Once complete and a file is verified, I can delete all the previous ones...

My best guess is the CAM tree is what's corrupting. If you think about it, all the stuff that's happening to save a cam tree is very complex (Compatibility with non compatible features etc...)

"I" believe the corruption happens with progressing on a save before it's really done. This will be more evident with complex Tree's or complex toolpath operations. I have some files that require "1 minute" to complete a save after I hit the save. If I close the file, or try to start moving ahead with other operations within the save operation, I've experienced erroneous results.... This was along time ago. I've since created the habit of treating the save operations with kid gloves, and don't really get anything unexpected....

Some of the other things I habitualize (though it's nothing "known", just my opinionated approach) Is I don't try to save files with changes in the CAM tree that I don't calculate out.... So, if I edit a feature, I will always calc the toolpath before I save the file....

There's probably a few other little blurbs that are habits, but you get the drift....

The most important one from me would be to have a good wait period on the save operation. Make sure all the responsiveness is back after a save. Possibly even looking at HD activity as an indicator that you can move on....

I also think you already know to try to merge your files to get your geometry back and just loose the cam tree?

I suppose I'll need to save as step thru files as you guys do .
    Another problem that I have is that many of my processes are the same , so I have an assortment of "saved features " for the cam tree that I pull up as needed . A lot of these features I've had for quite some time and I use them regularly , problem is that the advanced rough saved features always become corrupted and the inevitable happens . The strange thing is that it is only the advanced rough that gets messed up somehow . Sometimes it'll be good for many weeks , sometimes only days or less . It seems bizarre that it'll crap out . I've never had the same happen with any of my other saved features . I've give up on saving it because I can't trust it , so now i work from scratch everytime i use advanced rough . Anyone ever face this ??

I suppose I'll need to save as step thru files as you guys do .
    Another problem that I have is that many of my processes are the same , so I have an assortment of "saved features " for the cam tree that I pull up as needed . A lot of these features I've had for quite some time and I use them regularly , problem is that the advanced rough saved features always become corrupted and the inevitable happens . The strange thing is that it is only the advanced rough that gets messed up somehow . Sometimes it'll be good for many weeks , sometimes only days or less . It seems bizarre that it'll crap out . I've never had the same happen with any of my other saved features . I've give up on saving it because I can't trust it , so now i work from scratch everytime i use advanced rough . Anyone ever face this ??
    High Speed Pocketing in V23 behaved similarly.No biggy,just loaded from scratch.

ok , didn't high speed pocketing get turned into advanced rough ? it's a pita because I'd like to be able to trust and pull that feature then simply add the geometry rather than go thru all the motions each time , but if it is what it is , then it is what it is . At least the other saved features stay working which saves me a fair bit of time and crap

Are all of your files being saved to the same hard drive? It's unlikely a crash of a program will have the chance to corrupt any file except perhaps the one it currently had "open". Corruption occurs when the program is attempting to write data and suddenly stops , failing to complete the process. This would have nothing to do with backups. Possibilities include:

1. The files were never written correctly.
    2. The crash indicates the program is in bad shape and you can't trust it's assessment of the file. Send a copy to support or someone else with the program to check it.
    3. Your hard drive is malfunctioning. Perhaps corrupting lots of files and the source of your crashes. Make sure you save backups to a 2nd hard drive or flash drive. Make a backup of your current data right away. You don't want to lose everything when the HD fails. Heed HD warnings! Hard drives will fail. All of em eventually.

-D

the pc is solid , v25 is the sole source of the many crashes I've faced . The 2 completed files in the backup are corrupt as are the saved files , and they are on the only hd this pc has . The software is simply unstable , and saving is usually the only way to work with it and not loose too much time . It doesn't corrupt the files very often but the crashes are frequent . Since bc is already working on another new version , then maybe the best feature request would be a more stable , near bullet proof version . There are loads of threads concerning this throughout the versions and obviously there is something wrong with the core of the software , they can keep adding more features but the core is a turd and will stay a turd

When BCC prompts SAVE I usually do but that usuallygoes to a resident Bob folder. Whem I reach a comfortable point in the process I 'save as, F drive, my docs, my cadcam, my drawings. Every couple of days I copy/ paste my drawings to H drive F back up, my docs, my cadcam, my drawings, . Also copy G code from the machines to F&H, my NC. Two corruptions last 12 month and I closed the file than closed Bob re booted the OS opened Bob than the file, and guess what, good as new except for that the last bone head move the guy in front of the monitor did. Stoopid f... he's un stable.

I'm not as experienced as most of the folks who have answered in this thread, but I'll through out a couple of ideas.

1. Have you considered saving to a dropbox folder? Dropbox will save previous versions of a file and you can revert if something goes terribly wrong.
    2. I'd send the file to Bobcad support and see if they can "demultiplex" it. There has got to be a way to decode the file to its individual sections, and delete whatever is causing the hangup.
    3. Could you send it to someone you know who also owns Bobcad and see if the file will open on their machine?
    4. Anything change with your geometry file?

-Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Kingjamez View Post
    1. Have you considered saving to a dropbox folder? Dropbox will save previous versions of a file and you can revert if something goes terribly wrong.
    bobcad is set to save backup , the files that it auto saved before crashing were also corrupted .
    As for the files , they've been deleted and the work was redone