584,874 active members*
4,908 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Cincinnati CNC > Arrow 500 will not boot past "OS Loading"

Arrow 500 will not boot past "OS Loading"

I have a '95 Arrow 500 I am trying to get running. I put in a new hard drive from Fives. I will not boot past "OS Loading". I have unseated and reseated all the boards and the RAM stick. Any suggestions?

Re: Arrow 500 will not boot past "OS Loading"

OK - Mark Nichols spent a ton of time with me today and he was able to walk me through getting the software from the hard drive to load up and the MAI files loaded. I am waiting for him to get me the M1Y files. What are the M1Y files? I mean, what is their function/purpose?

Everything passed the diagnostics except the "touchscreen". Mark said not to worry about it since we have a keyboard we can just type everything in but what should I suspect as possible culprits for why it's not passing?

You should have received a sheet with the new drive that tells you if the WORK STATION board ( far left board) is a certain part number on it then you need to get into the BIOS setting screen and change a parameter. You need to do this!!!!

The M1Y.XXXX files are the servo setup and machine setup settings and other parameters for YOUR machine. The touch screen goes out on a lot of the A2100 controls due to a bad KTI board. It is a nice feature but you can add a mouse and a keyboard to do the same thing. Every A2100 control can be hooked up with this as a standard and most controls have the plugs on the outside of the operator (CRT) station. It must be plugged in prior to starting the control. Look on top of the silver box in the mag panel (A2100 control) and on the left hand side in the back, you will find a round mouse port connection and a round keyboard port next to it. You just need to run the cables up to the operator station and plug them in.

Mike CNC Machine Services INC | Cincinnati Milacron MachinesCNC Machine Services

Mike - I did not receive ANY paper work with the new drive. I will ask Mark Nichols about this - hopefully he can get me that info.

Mark said he would work on getting me the M1Y files. I am hoping he will have them for me on Monday.

I have a keyboard with the touchpad hooked up on the machine now so I can still navigate through the prompts without the touch screen - I just thought it would be nice to get the machine as close as possible to operating as it came from the factory.

One more thing, after the machine sat at idle for about fifteen minutes, the screen got jumbled up so that you couldn't read it. If you power it down and then back up again it's fine. It did this twice. Any ideas?

Thanks.

You can plug in any monitor to the CGA port next to the CRT inside the operator station. If the new monitor does the same thing then the problem is in the WORK STATION RTC board or the connections. If this corrects the problem then the problem is in the CRT. You can replace the old CRT with a new LCD for under $100. using the CGA port.
    Do you have any 3 1/2" disks that came with the machine that may have the M1Y.xxxxx file on it. The .xxxxx is the last 4 numbers of the control SN#. With the new drive you should have received a sheet with the option content code on it, which is about 20 characters long that turns on the options that were purchased with the machine from the OEM

Mike CNC Machine Services INC | Cincinnati Milacron MachinesCNC Machine Services

OK - I will try hooking up another monitor to see if we can narrow down where the problem exists. What do you mean I can replace the CRT with an LCD for $100? Just mount it in a convenient position or is there a replacement that would somehow fit in the current space that the CRT occupies? I readily admit my ignorance.

I do not have the back up disk with the M1Y files on it.

I did not receive a sheet with the HDD. I will call Fives tomorrow and try to get that info. Thank

Thanks

You should have received a SOLID STATE DRIVE from Siemens not the old HDD. I think the monitor is a 12" and you can look on line and get the same size LCD monitor with a CGA port. Then take the old one out and put in the new one for about $100. The old one should be a old style CRT ( cathode ray tube) if it has not been upgraded, and the new ones are LCD (liquid crystal display).

Oh sorry - yes I got a solid state drive. I guess that's an SSD not an HDD. Thanks for the tip on the LCD flat screen. After I determine whether it's the board or the monitor I'll check into replacing it. That sounds like a great idea.

Ok - I got the M1Y file from Mark. How do I load it. It looks like my options are: "Install Software" or "Backup and Restroe Machine Data". What should I choose?

OK - I think I loaded the software. Now what? It still acts like it is waiting for more info. Oh shoot. I forgot to ask for the sheet with the "options content code". Well, I will check with Mark again.

Joe,
    By chance would you happen to have Marks email address?
    If so would you pm it to me?
    Thanks,
    Scott

Hi Scott, yes, I will send that to you. I have it at the shop so I'm afraid it will have to wait til tomorrow.

You may still have problems because the M1Y and the MAI files are generic and may require additional adjustments to get your machine running correctly. Loading new software resets the machine but it still needs to be adjusted and every time the parameters need to be changed to get the machine to function correctly. When you get the machine running don't forget to make back up copies of all the parameters for the future.

I loaded all the "configuration" data but now what? The drives still show "drives not ready". If I try to "home" the machine nothing happens. I hit "align" and then hold in F1 - nothing. No movement at all and I cannot get the axes to jog either.

It is not as plug and play as it seems. It sounds like you need some help. Where are you located, give us a call.