584,871 active members*
5,184 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Haas Machines > Haas Mills > Anyone using a USB / Floppy emulator?

Anyone using a USB / Floppy emulator?

Picked up one of the floppy emulators that allows you to use an USB drive in the older Haas machines that originally came with a floppy. Having trouble with the software that came with it. It is supposed to reformat the USB flash drive to look like a 1.44mb floppy disc. Cant seen to get it to jive. Any ideas suggestions or help would be much appreciated.

Trying to update the following machines to use the USB emulators.

3 - 2004 Haas VF-2SS'
    2 - 2000 Haas VF-0's
    1 - 2001 Haas VF-0E

Jason

I did this with our VF0 and it works great. I used the smallest USB drive I could get my hands on, a 4GB, as you're basically using their software to reformat and partition it into many virtual floppy's. I only choose to use it as a single floppy as the need for 99 on one stick would make finding things interesting.
    So I guess my question is, what size USB are you using, and what issues are you having exactly? If you haven't fixed it by monday, then when I get to the shop I'll try to find my software and send you a copy.
    Chuck
    HAAS vfo,vf3ss,sl20, Akira Seiki H4XP, CMS gang lathes x3, Dimension 1200es 3D Printer

Haas Factory Support

There are plenty of other emulator posts on here, if you do some searching. I bought an emulator from Laser Motion Inc to test here at the factory and it has worked in every machine I tried it in. As far as formatting their are several things to note:

1. Different vendors use different methods to format or "partition" the drive. Read the directions carefully.

2. Some vendors use the emulator itself to create an initial folder. (Try just formatting as FAT and just drop a file from the Haas control onto it, see if it creates a "01" folder or similar)

3. To format a drive as FAT is sometimes difficult, you can use a program called swiss knife.

4. Try using a different USB, smaller if possible.
    Thanks,
    Ken Foulks

The newer usb drives that we use and sell at laser motion for the haas machines do not need a special software to format the usb memory sticks. Just plug and play and you can hold the memory of a 100 floppy disks on one usb memory stick . We have installed it on many haas machines with no issues. www. lasermotioninc.com

We also have one year warrenty on our usb units customer support hotline and you get 2 memory sticks with each unit.

Sd card instead of USB stick---http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SD-Card-Floppy-emulator-for-DEMAG-ENGEL-Wittmann-Battenfeld-Ferromatik-/181201381885?pt=UK_Crafts_Embroidery_EH&hash=item2 a3071a9fd

Alternative floppy emulator with SD card:

Floppy emulated IBM and CP/M:
    160KB 512 8sektor 40trk 1side
    180KB 512 9sektor 40trk 1side
    320KB 512 8sektor 40trk 2side
    360KB 512 9sektor 40trk 2side
    720KB 512 9sektor 80trk 2side
    1,2MB 512 15sektor 80trk 2side
    1,44MB 512 18sektor 80trk 2side

SD card FAT16 and FAt32

Floppy emulator SD card drive-Floppy emuDrive

floppydrive - YouTube

We use them on all our Haas machines, We also have them on others as well. We buy the cheapest USB floppy emulator we can find and them format any USB stick to have a single 1.4mb partition and away we go. We also use a LanCNC device from Calmotion with a wireless card to load large programs that wont fit on a 1.4 mb partation.

We sell ones that require no software

We have supplied and installed hundred's of USB / Floppy emulators that do not require any type of soft ware and have a high rate of success. They work with all the new and old windows operating systems on your pc. They also work with all the old and new HAAS CNC's. We supply a one year warranty on them along with technical support and 2 memory sticks with each unit. Please visit our website and call if you have any questions. Regards, Jeremy lasermotioninc.com and click on the usb retrofit icon

USB type emulators are not possible install in our machines.
    1.Our machines have a floppy device covered with spring loaded covers.
    But a long USB dongle extends far beyond the front panel dimensions and not possible close cover.
    Some machines even have a switch under the cover, and if it is not activated, then the machine will not run.
    2.We have also hundreds of this kind machines here, but some of them not working with those USB type not at all.
    just message no floppy device connected appears in machine display. Producer say`s try set jumpers, we try all possible combinationas of those USB type floppy device jumpers, no efect, still not working.

By this reasons we use SD card type floppy emulator.
    Floppy emulator SD card drive-Floppy emuDrive

[ATTACH=CONFIG]210532[/ATTACH
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]210534[/ATTACH
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]210536[/ATTACH
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]210538[/ATTACH
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]210540[/ATTACH
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]210542[/ATTACH
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]210544[/ATTACH

Re: Anyone using a USB / Floppy emulator?

Hi, no need to give up and use a old-style sdcard emulation.

It's possible to get modern USB & network emulation. Combined with permanent
    internal memory, you'll be able to save/load and then close your machinery FDD slot.

Check: EMUFDD - Redirect page

Re: Anyone using a USB / Floppy emulator?

JasonR,

Make sure the cable isn't upside down...

Quote Originally Posted by JasonR View Post
    Picked up one of the floppy emulators that allows you to use an USB drive in the older Haas machines that originally came with a floppy. Having trouble with the software that came with it. It is supposed to reformat the USB flash drive to look like a 1.44mb floppy disc. Cant seen to get it to jive. Any ideas suggestions or help would be much appreciated.

Trying to update the following machines to use the USB emulators.

3 - 2004 Haas VF-2SS'
    2 - 2000 Haas VF-0's
    1 - 2001 Haas VF-0E

Jason