585,932 active members*
3,663 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Tormach Personal CNC Mill > Anyone Use a 5C 4th Axis on Their Tormach?

Question Anyone Use a 5C 4th Axis on Their Tormach?

I'd like to do some 4th axis work on my Tormach 1100, but the big unit they sell would be overkill for my purposes. Has anyone used a 5C collet indexer on theirs? Anybody seen one around the web that might work? Thanks!

Re: Anyone Use a 5C 4th Axis on Their Tormach?

You looking for a cnc-driven indexer? If the 6" 4th axis that Tormach sells is too big, than maybe take a look at the Sherline or Taig 4" rotary tables. Of course, you would have to add a 5C chuck to that.

Or maybe something like this, designed with a native 5c taper? All it is missing is a drawbar...

Attachment 247748

ebay DeepGrove cnc rotary 5c table

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c0R24pSDNGE

I have no experience with those, but I read some favorable comments on the vendor (DeepGroove) here on the zone.

Quote Originally Posted by quapman View Post
    I'd like to do some 4th axis work on my Tormach 1100, but the big unit they sell would be overkill for my purposes. Has anyone used a 5C collet indexer on theirs? Anybody seen one around the web that might work? Thanks!
    If you're asking about a 5C Spin Indexer, that will work on ANY machine, and is dirt cheap - under $100, plus whatever collets you require.

Regards,
    Ray L.

I use a variety of 5C indexers and fixtures on my Tormach from the 8" rotary table with Bison 5C chuck to hex indexer in the Kurt vise to manual 5C indexer. BTW also have a Sherline 4" RT however the Sherline is not that useful compared to the 5C indexers and fixtures.

Don Clement

Yes, sorry, should have been more specific...looking for a CNC driven unit. I like the setup you've got with the Bison chuck, Don.

Looking for something like this (and wondering why Tormach doesn't offer one):

What works for me is the Tormach CNC driven 8" rotary table with a Bison 5C chuck mounted on it. Works the same for me as the Haas only doesn't have a lever closer. I was just using the Tormach RT and 5C chuck to do indexing.

Don Clement

So I don't have to break the rotary table with 5C chuck down in order to use a three jaw chuck I added a 5C arbor onto a 5" Bison 3 jaw chuck with homemade adjusta-tru backplate. Shown below is the 3-jaw chuck mounted in the 5C chuck on the 8" rotary table I used today for indexing the triangular plate.

Don Clement