585,877 active members*
3,635 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Novakon > anyone doing engraving/very shallow cutting?

anyone doing engraving/very shallow cutting?

I'm doing a bunch of "engraving" (its really 1/64 deep 2d pocketing) in 5052 H32. With only 4500 rpm my feeds are just painfully slow, are any of you guys doing something similar and do you have any tricks for getting feeds up? I've just started playing but I'm mostly cutting with a 3/32 2 flute end mill and feeding at 3.8ipm

Re: anyone doing engraving/very shallow cutting?

Add a high-RPM secondary spindle. For light-duty work, a Proxxon, or small router (like Bosch Colt) can work well. Nothing you do short of providing more RPMs will speed things up.

Regards,
    Ray L.

I find that 5052 does not machine all that well. It tends to gum up. Same with 6063. You can get 6061 sheet. That would be much nicer to machine. Better with a high speed of course, but doable @ 5000.
    Lee

Yea 6061 is much better, but this needs to be 5052 for forming so SOL there. I'm getting clean cuts and because its not very deep the gumminess doesn't hurt so much (using WD40 to lube it as well) but just painfully slow. I was wondering if something like the 2Linc tough tip cutters may allow for a higher speed, I'm going to pick up a 3 flute cutter or two too test as well

Right. 5052 bends well. Because of it's gummyness. If it is cutting at least, you are probably ahead of the game. I have gummed up 1/4" 2 flute carbide cutters in it using WD40. That was on my router though. 25,000 RPM. Cutting through 1/8" sheet in one pass. Not sure if a fifferent cutter would do better. You can always give it a shot. You can't have too many cutters.
    Lee

Well I bumped it too 4.5 when using a ball end mill, so that was handy at least. Took some video of it running with the 3/32 cutter.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hope1KDcHoo

may not have a spindle light, but I got a whole lot of other light

I always use coated cutters suited to the material I have never had a problem with them they cost a lot but last longer and you can cut faster so it makes up for not going so deep when using smaller cutters because of cost.
    when the coating gets worn off they are still good for cutting plastic or wood
    http://danielscnc.webs.com/

being disabled is not a hindrance it gives you attitude
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]