585,752 active members*
4,252 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Haas Machines > Haas Mills > Another Haas (TM-1) will not power up.

Another Haas (TM-1) will not power up.

No screen, no loud contactor click, nothing.

There is power too and through the equipments Main circuit breaker and too the CR353AC contactor but but nothing through the contactor.

Have checked all fuses I found, all OK.

Any one with similar experience?

Ken

Re: Another Haas (TM-1) will not power up.

There are three small fuse holders to the left of the breaker in the cabinet. They are in about 1/2" round black holders that are about 1 1/5" long. They are 1/2 amp fuses and if one is out there is a small light next to it that will light. If you have not checked them, start there. They are to protect against surges and every once in a while I get one knocked out with FPL power spikes and outages.

I hope that helps, but if not keep looking.

Mike
    Two Haas VF-2's, Haas HA5C, Haas HRT-9, Hardinge CHNC 1, Bother HS-300 Wire EDM, BobCAD V23, BobCAD V28

Thanks Mike,
    Those had been checked, none of the little orange lights were lit but I had checked them physically to be double sure.

Ken_Shea

Push the E-Stop in & reset it, you most likely have already checked this though, do you have a remote Hand wheel, check the E-stop on that as well if you have one
    Mactec54

Hi mactec54
    Yes, had done that numerous times, going to pull the control panel back off tomorrow and try disconnecting it from the system.

It acts like maybe the contactor is bad but those things are almost bullet proof.

Ken

I have had contractors fail. Not on Haas machines but they do fail. At the time of failure I could manually push the contactor with a pencil eraser and it would pass current but couldn't hold itself in. The manufacturer insisted it was several other things including the spindle fan. Replaced everything they sent and no good. They finally sent a new contactor and all good. You never know.

Ben

I sure haven't put it in the "no possibility" arena, it's man made, for sure they can fail.

Thanks Ben

Quote Originally Posted by Ken_Shea View Post
    Hi mactec54
    Yes, had done that numerous times, going to pull the control panel back off tomorrow and try disconnecting it from the system.

It acts like maybe the contactor is bad but those things are almost bullet proof.

Ken
    I just replaced one last week. Granted it was an older machine, but as mentioned already, things fail. Even newer things.

Same symptoms?

Were you able to test it and/or how?

This is also an older machine (kinda..... 2004) not a lot used over the years but that really means nothing, things stop working for many reasons beyond the age of them.

Thanks

First for the post u need to see in schematics what does turn on that contactor.....And then check that line from begining... Out of the blue i think some power supply module failure (no screen---nothing) but without the schematics i cant tell (usually the plc (NC ready and NOT Total Stop Line) turn the small contactor then small turn big one )

To examine the contactor
    1. U need to have voltmeter
    2. While machine is OFF check what voltage is coil of contactor (24V DC or 110V AC or 220V AC)
    3. Place the instrument on buzzer or 1k Ohm
    4. Measure coil (A1-A2) with buzzer or 1k Ohm--- it should have some resistance ( depends of coil voltage)
    5. Turn machine ON
    6. Place the instrument on higher voltage than coil ( if 24V DC then on 100-200 V DC, if 110V AC then on 200-600V AC and so on)
    7. One man has to try to turn machine ON (procedure... button or .... ) while one is measuring coil voltage
    8. Measure the coil voltage A1-A2

If there is a voltage on that coil that is equal (+-10%) to coil voltage of contactor and contactor does NOT turn on then its broken...

That's a start CroCole
    Wish you were here since there is only me

Thanks for the steps, I'll try and follow them.

Ken

Well, the Haas is up and running again, the problem? wish I could say so it may be of help to others. The contactor just suddenly energized when I pushed the micro switch button that is attached to the contactor on the left rear facing the contactor. This had been done prior numerous time with no results.

Found a contactor on eBay for a spare that was priced reasonably just in case down the road it stops working.

A BIG thanks to CroCole for going the second mile with his offline help via email.

Ken