585,735 active members*
4,815 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Bridgeport Machines > Bridgeport / Hardinge Mills > Air pressure spec BP Series 1 pneumatics? How much?

Air pressure spec BP Series 1 pneumatics? How much?

I cannot locate any shop air pressure spec in any of my manuals for running the air brake and air speed changer. Apparently, those systems were optional and I didn't get those manuals. There is a pressure regulator on the side of the machine. What should it be set to? Thanks.

Re: Air pressure spec BP Series 1 pneumatics? How much?

100 psi main service is required, this is then regulated to 80psi with pressure regulator in cabinet. Also to your speed changer not working as well one way compaired to other. George explained it very well in a previous post and I have found this to be very common.

You probably have the original solenoids in that box (aluminum plate with platic cover). Be careful as the plate is not thick and the solenoids are mounted to it with only a few threads. I have pulled these solenoids apart to find the seals on the spools to be falling apart. This prevents them from moving correctly and thus functioning/sealing correctly. It seems that way back then the British rubber did not like American lubricants. You may want to take a look.

George

Re: Air pressure spec BP Series 1 pneumatics? How much?

Thanks for the info. The speed changer and maybe brake were both added later, looks like. Hence, I have no docs on them to speak of. What I thought was just an inline filter turned out to be a pressure regulator, and it was set to about 20 psi for some unknown reason. Cranked it up to 80ish psi and voila! It works just fine. Feel kinda silly, but in my defense, the regulator was so crusted over with shop grunge that it looked like a filter and oiler combo. My filter/regulator/oiler is on the opposite side, above the lube pump/reservoir.

In other news, the speed readout is now accurate,but the spindle only gets to 2600 rpm and no further, even as I direct it to higher speeds. Must be a worn belt being too thin. I think.....

Getting closer all the time, now... Thanks, guys.