585,768 active members*
4,109 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CNC Electronics > Stepper Motors / Drives > Advantages of various step settings

Advantages of various step settings

Forgive me if this isn't the right forum.

I have a K2 prototype that I've setup with a Xylotex controller. Many of the choices I made were based on what I imagine is incomplete knowledge. So I've been going back and trying to really educate myself on some of this stuff.

When I setup the Xylotex, I was able to setup full steps, half, quarter, or eighth steps. I had read that eighth steps can smooth-out resonances that would result in dropped steps.

So that is what I did. But I wonder whether I'm giving anything up by going with eighth steps. I don't really need any faster travel (I can hit a little over 90 ipm) as the usable XY is only 11" square. I've only started experimenting with faster motor tuning because I've been running about 10-ipm in BB plywood and I'm burning up the bits, so I've found I can run the machine faster than I had previously thought.

Is there any advantage, though, to running with fuller steps? More torque? Less heat? Or would it just allow me to run things faster?

Thanks for shedding any light.

Re: Advantages of various step settings

If your system is all sound... then the resolution, has nothing to do with lost steps.

The 1/8 resolution setting is what I would do. This will give you finer cuts, and better overall performance. What this does, is take each step of the motor, and divide it into 8 equal parts.

There is one situation, using this type of control, that you should be aware of. When you shut off your machine. Then restart the system.

If the stepper, it at step 10 of the motor +2 eights. When you turn off the power, and turn the motors back on. The motor will move to the nearest step... which would be step 10 of the motor.

The drive uses a "bias" of the voltage, to create the "micro" steps. When you start a system, stepper drive; this bias is not present. So the machine must be rehomed.

If you are not using homing, with sensors. You may find that you are introducing error into your parts run.

Lets say you are carving a detailed part. You stop half way through, and the next morning you come in, and start up the system, and continue form where you left off. It may reset to an entirely different position... up to 7/8's of a motor step.

Important, for doing accurate repeatable work, from day to day.

Just something you have to know. I have not used the motor drives, which you mention, so I don't know if those drives themselves; have any memory, as to this bias, when they are shut down. I would think a simple drive would not.

Full steps are usually more "noisy"... not as smooth. Less resolution, could allow the motors to run faster, because your computer would not have to produce as many steps per revolution... but If it is fast enough, I would go with smooth first.

As well on an aluminum framed router type unit... the noise of the motors can be an issue... it goes through everything. Smooth is better...

Food for thought!
    Robot & Machine Design - BLUECNC4, GreenCNC3, RedCNC2L, SilverCNC2; CNC Software!
    www.truemachinedesign.com - - - - - - - - - - - - - www.truemachineautomation.com

Re: Advantages of various step settings

Thanks for the meal ("food for thought"), Jeff. I'm going to leave it setup at eighths!