584,812 active members*
5,416 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CNC Electronics > Stepper Motors / Drives > A speed question for the electronically literate

A speed question for the electronically literate

I’m new to all this but I’ve built a (Working in metric) a 1.2m X1.2m overhead gantry router using 20mm linear bearings and RM2005 ballscrews from linearmotionbearings2008. It’s going to be for a hobby cutting 12mm ply making mail boxes ( Art Buy Post - Home ). I purchased from Wantia motors 4 PCS Nema 23 Stepper Motors with 290oz-in holding torque,1A,single shaft
    4 Axis TB6560 Stepper Motor Driver Controller
    Aerospace TB4-axis drive board HY-TB4DV-N Instructions
    Products Features :
    Integrated SCM manual control system, you can directly from the computer manual
    The maximum 3.5A drive current to a maximum 86 stepper motor drives, more powerful
    16 sub-setting, higher accuracy, smoother operation
    Overload over-current over-temperature protection, full protection of your computer and peripheral equipment
    4 files current settings can be set according to the user the actual current requirement
    Full closed-type optical isolation to protect the user's computer and equipment
    Professional design, two-stage signal processing, super anti-jamming
    Bipolar constant current chopper drive motor low-speed non-creeping phenomenon, noise, non-resonant region。
    2-way output control, scalable fifth axis or 2-way control of external equipment.
    Four input control, you can set limit, emergency stop, which is divided
    200W ,24VDC,8.3A Power Supply
    Bench testing and tuning the motors in Mach3 I have dip switches at 1/8 step, full power, fast decay which by my calculation with my 5mm ballscrew in mach3 motor tuning the step per set at 320? I’m presuming the Step per is steps per mm not steps per revolution.
    With that I can’t seem to get the velocity more than 600 to 800mm/min ( slow) without the motors stalling.

My question is am I doing something wrong or is my economically fiscal methodology flawed (I have a tight budget by necessity not personality) is this the best I can expect from the cheapest thing I could find on ebay?
    Your input will be much appreciated.
    Mark

Re: A speed question for the electronically literate

It sounds like you've run into the limits of that control system; you're not doing anything wrong. The 24v power supply isn't going to turn your motors any faster than that, and if you boost the power, you'll blow up that TB6560 board. I'd say keep limping along at that speed until your budget catches up with your personality, or your controller dies a natural death, whichever comes first...
    Andrew Werby
    Website

Re: A speed question for the electronically literate

Thanks for that I'll carry on. Sometimes you just need conformation of your limitations so you can work with them and then work to overcome them.