584,854 active members*
4,254 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > Machine Controllers Software and Solutions > Fanuc > 98 KOMO Innova Mach 1 Won't run Large Files

98 KOMO Innova Mach 1 Won't run Large Files

We have been working through KOMO who prior to 80K of repairs and upgrades assured us that we would be able to run large files. Currently limited to 56K. Now they have back peddled for over 6 months and we still do not have a solution. Fanuc would only work through KOMO so they have offered no help. Somewhere out there there has to be a solution to this problem of file size. ANYONE please help.

Re: 98 KOMO Innova Mach 1 Won't run Large Files

Please, tell me what series/model CNC system is to your machine?

It is a KOMO Innova Model MFG Date 5/98
    Serial Number 23462-03-01-98
    480 Volt 3PH 60 HZ IFC 24Amps ILL 16Amps
    It has a 5 x 10 table, 8 tool carousel, 11 Vertical and 2 Horizontal Boring Spindles
    Its a 21/2 D machine.
    The Fanuc Controller is:
    A16B-2202-09001/118801046
    A16B-2202-0980 048800295
    FANUC SERIES 210MB
    TYPE A028-0218-8502
    DATE 1998-03
    NO. E9830523… (COULDN’T SEE LAST DIGITS)
    It has two memory slots one filled and an empty PCMCIA slot.

Thanks for your help in advance.

Long programs you must run in Drip Feed mode. For this you need some parameters setting. Have you a parameters manual for Fs210-B?
    We have other way, for this it is necessary to look the memory type SRAM in slot. If his capacity allows, that enlarge the available area by setting the option parameter. But, this will not allow to execute very long programs as in the first event.

This only allows up to 128k total memory for part programs (control limits).
    The drip feed is a separate dnc software package that this customer does not have installed (he is operating under BOP1).

How did they do $80k worth of repairs without completely replacing the control system with something current? I think I would be contacting my attorney if they promised that you could run large files and have not delivered when spending that kind of money. Where abouts are you located? I have a large CNC router similar to a Komo (moving table/stationary gantry/multiple heads) and I replaced my controller for around $2500 with one that can do whatever fits on my hard-drive. They should have taken care of you already, but if you can't get your work done due to file size limits, it's always possible to update the electronics yourself (it's not as hard as you probably think).

mmoe, I have been involved with nc/cnc for 40 years, have done a number of retrofits and strongly disagree with your statement 'it's not as hard as you probably think" I have used GE, Fanuc and Delta Tau controls.
    As to the first part of your post,"How did they do $80k worth of repairs without completely replacing the control system with something current?", the question could be asked 'what did they do for $80k?'

80K?... There was a lot of electrical damage. Insurance saved us. We would love to upgrade but cannot seem to get a clear picture from Fanuc or KOMO on compatibility for new/used components. That is what we are searching for now from the forum and have made some progress.

Our problem regarding getting this large file issue resolved is no one from Fanuc or KOMO has provided the appropriate technical information for the machine which would enable us to buy/upgrade the necessary components with any confidence. The fact that our machine has no Fanuc control panel but only FBOP running on a PC seems to be a road block. We encourage and invite any qualified company/tech to work with us to put together a fix.

I found this item on eBay. 171528519031 I believe its intended to mimic a tape reader enabling larger files. But I have heard that tape is also limited to 1000 lines. This may only be a temporary fix if at all. Does anyone have any experience with this?

Quote Originally Posted by KomoInnova View Post
    I found this item on eBay. 171528519031 I believe its intended to mimic a tape reader enabling larger files. But I have heard that tape is also limited to 1000 lines. This may only be a temporary fix if at all. Does anyone have any experience with this?
    It varies a bit from controller to controller, and without the manual I can't say 100% for sure, but in most cases you will be limited to whatever the RS232 port is capable of doing. If you can drip feed, you can probably run a fairly good sized file. If the RS232 port is basically locked out, you may not be able to use it at all. I used to have a machine with a NUM 750F controller (similar level of industrial build to Fanuc, etc.) would only allow the RS232 port to transfer files into memory and had the drip feed function disabled. In order to unlock the drip feed function, I would have had to send the controller back to NUM and they would change it somehow to unlock that feature, but wanted several thousand $ to do so on a controller that was already 25 years old at the time. Point is, you could buy it and it could work, or you could buy it and it could be useless.

Where abouts are you located?

KomoInnova is in Baltimore, MD.
    The Fanuc BOP running clearly states that a separate DNC package is required for this. A BTR is useless unless a TAPE mode is available to RUN programs, not just LOAD them.