586,019 active members*
4,161 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Tormach Personal CNC Mill > 4th axis problems / better tail stock ? ?

4th axis problems / better tail stock ? ?

We have the 6" rotary table and using Tormach's adjustable Tail Stock pt#30272.
    Having several problems, first that TS is horrible to setup, any suggestions for a better one from a different Co.? I do not want or need a tilting axis, up and down adjustment is all I want.

2nd. The rotary table randomly stalls out, sounds like stripping gears, I have sent it back to them, they claim no problems and sent it back. Same problems. Also changed the stepper driver
    They are saying the tail stock is not level enough despite being within .0003 over 12"

I see they have a new "better" table for sale now, but I haven't been able to get them to do anything about this one or trade up for the newer one, despite it only being a few months old.

Any suggestions for a "fix" for this table ? A tail stock like the Phase ll looks much better only it's for a 4" , not a 6"

I talked to tormach before ordering this setup , specifically about the way it would be used , they assured me it would work. now it does not, I'm left with many $K's of equip that ruins about 1/3 of the parts.

Re: 4th axis problems / better tail stock ? ?

Do you have the original undersized motor? I upgraded mine due to the same issues and I also tore my 4th axis apart and cleaned and rebuilt it and since then it has been much better.

How can I tell which motor I have ? It was bought only a few months ago, returned for service - back to us a few weeks ago. despite them claiming everything was OK , there were several changes made that we could see.

What did you do to rebuild yours? I'm ready to fix mine as well, as it sure seems something is wrong inside.

I think you have to adjust the backlash of the 4th axis.This can help you.

http://cncmachinetools.org/backlash-...f-tal-machine/

There are 2 things that cause this. #1, you don't have oil in the table.

#2, The table locking is due to too much engagement in the stepper motor to the table. Loosen the locking lever, then rotate the motor coupler back away from engagement just a little tiny bit, then relock the lever and try jogging again. Do this till your operation is smooth.

Hope this helps,
    Wade

Quote Originally Posted by sudip View Post
    I think you have to adjust the backlash of the 4th axis.This can help you.

http://cncmachinetools.org/backlash-...f-tal-machine/
    Done

Quote Originally Posted by wwendorf View Post
    There are 2 things that cause this. #1, you don't have oil in the table.

#2, The table locking is due to too much engagement in the stepper motor to the table. Loosen the locking lever, then rotate the motor coupler back away from engagement just a little tiny bit, then relock the lever and try jogging again. Do this till your operation is smooth.

Hope this helps,
    Wade
    Done, no change

Can you take a video of you trying to jog the rotary table and post it to youtube and give us the link?

Wade

Here are some random thoughts and questions...hope they can help in some way. To add another comment I have the tormach 8" table as well and it performs much better than the 6". What kind of feeds and speeds are you running? What material? Are you climb or conventional milling? I typically try to set all my programs to mill from the tail stock back to the rotary axis. I had an issue with mine during multi-goto and found that my feeds in Z were ramping due to a poor setting choice in my CAM model. Basically my plunge was off by a decimal and anytime I switched Z level I was abusing the cutter and the table...oops. It sounded obvious (stalling/missed steps) so it wasn't too hard to figure out, but I know that I am less aggressive with my feeds in stainless and tool steels when working on the 6" rotary table. Oh yeah and the old stepper for 6" tables sold before 2013 was anemic! The upgraded stepper made a world of difference. Oh last thing. Check your rigidity and clamping of that table and tail stock. If it is not clamped solidly from the front and backside the deflection during dynamic motion can cause some geometry that acts as a force multiplier to stall the table out. Good luck and I hope that you can get it figured out!

Here is what I did..

Take it apart
    Clean it all up
    Take off the locks and plug the holes
    Added a cylindrical roller thrust bearing under the nut.. would have added ones elsewhere but not easily done.
    Got a better motor (later upgraded again when Tormach made one available)
    Added a live center to the tailstock (made my own adapter before Tormach offered them)

If it gives me any more problems I will probably machine it to accept real bearings and seals. I use threaded adapters to hold my parts so I need to keep enough force that they do not unscrew. Generally I try to always turn so that the tool is tightening versus loosening when I can.

Quote Originally Posted by compunerdy View Post
    Here is what I did..

Take it apart
    Clean it all up
    Take off the locks and plug the holes
    Added a cylindrical roller thrust bearing under the nut.. would have added ones elsewhere but not easily done.
    Got a better motor (later upgraded again when Tormach made one available)
    Added a live center to the tailstock (made my own adapter before Tormach offered them)

If it gives me any more problems I will probably machine it to accept real bearings and seals. I use threaded adapters to hold my parts so I need to keep enough force that they do not unscrew. Generally I try to always turn so that the tool is tightening versus loosening when I can.
    Pretty intense mods for new off the shelf tool
    Looking to place order on a 4th axis system. 8 inch I guess works best with 5c I read.
    What would you consider when or if you were to buy new one?
    Any thoughts on super spacer model?

Thanks for any help
    md

I ordered the 8" first years ago and sent it back for the 6" as it was way more massive than I needed. I would love to see a 4th axis with bearings and seals but my modified one has been working fine. I have heard the super spacer ones are nice and heavy duty. For some reason I have gotten used to my 4th axis on the left side and have no desire to move it to the right.