584,863 active members*
4,865 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > WoodWorking > WoodWorking Topics > 4 axis cnc - lateral movement is it possible?

4 axis cnc - lateral movement is it possible?

I want to build a 4 axis cnc routerto do lateral movements with the spindle (as shown in the figures below, with the cutting toolout of the line of the axis of rotation ). Not yet have a 4 axis. If I insert geometries on g-code generatorssoftwares (Mastercam, Bobcad, etc) with holes like this in the figure below (to 4th axis), the tool need to side movements (like cutting cnc Video below). The G-code generatorsfor 4 axesalready consider the machine can move laterally or so I need to modify the machine? This type of movement is considered normal for a 4-axis machining or is it something special? Mach3can control it?

PLEASE, SEE THE VIDEO:

another example:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ICAtxDw31M

Sorry for the question. Generally I have seen with fourth axis cuts where the cutting toolonly moves upwards and axial direction (and not radial like the figure). Then I saw this video, where the cutting toolalso moves laterally.
    [COLOR=#EEE !important]en → pt
    Mach3

[/COLOR]

Re: 4 axis cnc - lateral movement is it possible?

I found out this video also (simulation with mastercam). It is a 4 axis cnc router moving laterally..... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7kWjhIHoJts

Then, after generate my g-code, I just have to execute mach3 with this code.
    By this video I conclude that I can generate with Mastercam a g-code with this kind of movement. On mastercam,Is it difficult to generate such code, or is a standard procedure for a 4 axis cnc?

Thanks and sorry for this kind of question..I'm a beginer and I don't know the tecnical words about it.

Can someone help me?

I think the replies are slight due to the level of help you are looking for now.

Your original question has been answered. Yes Mach3 can handle the code for lateral motion while rotating the A axis.

Now you are asking how to program the path... You first need to decide what software you are going to use (MasterCam, BobCam....). Then post your new question in the correct forum.

Such a path is done daily and often. However, it takes REALLY learning the software you are using. Multi-axis programming, is nothing like 2D or 2½D programming.